Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of our frequently asked questions, but if you have any other questions please do get in touch.
How do I access online classes?
Make a note of your order number, and head over to facebook.com/groups/shimmyschoolonline and request to join.
Can I attend all online classes?
Yes! All memberships give you access to our full online timetable. Join in live, or catch them later using the “Popular Topics” section in the Facebook group.
I’m a complete beginner, which class should I choose?
- All our online classes are open level, unless otherwise stated, so you can join in with any of those.
- There are 2 levels of Studio Belly Dancing, FUNdamentals and Improvers/Choreography.
- Belly Dance FUNdamentals is beginner friendly. In this class we will focus on learning and drilling new moves.
- Improvers/Choreography Belly Dancing is for those who have some experience and would like to learn more challenging combos and choreography.
I am less able, are there classes to suit me?
Yes! Please contact us and we will direct you to the more appropriate classes for you. Please make the instructor aware before any class so they can give adaptations as necessary.
I’ve bought a studio class membership but can’t make it next week.
Online access is included with all studio memberships and as most of our studio classes are also streamed live, you will be able to catch up at a different time.
Where is the studio?
Akademy Ltd, Callywhite Ln, Dronfield S18 2XR
Directions from Callywhite Park:
- Follow the road past Callywhite Park and into the industrial estate
- Continue following the road through the industrial estate.
- Continue until you see the sign for Akademy
- Follow signs up the driveway, past the sign for Frith Woods (it will look like you’re driving into the woods).
- You should reach the car park at the top of the road.
What do I need to bring with me to the studio?
Something to drink, a shimmy belt or ballet shoes (if applicable) and any props the instructor has asked you to bring. You will be asked to take your outdoor shoes off before entering the studio, so shoes you can take off/put on easily are recommended.
Can I get changed at the studio?
Unfortunately, there are no changing facilities, so please come in comfortable/gym clothes. You will be asked to take your outdoor shoes off before entering the studio, so shoes you can take off/put on easily are recommended.
Can I just pay by bank transfer into Shimmy School’s bank?
Please purchase all memberships through the “Classes” Menu on our website. This ensures we don’t miss any orders. There is an option to pay through PayPal or through bank transfer.
Are you Covid Secure?
- Yes, we are Covid secure and we have a risk assessment which is available to view on request.
- The studio we use has hand sanitizer at entry and exit points, and the floor of the studio is marked into 2m boxes.
- Students are asked to remain in their boxes for the duration of the class.
What happens in the event of another lockdown?
- In the event of another lockdown where we are unable to use the Studio, all classes and memberships will revert to online.
- Partial refunds will be given to those who have paid for studio classes.