Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of our frequently asked questions, but if you have any other questions please do get in touch.
How do I access online classes?
Make a note of your order number, and head over to facebook.com/groups/shimmyschoolonline and request to join.
Can I attend all online classes?
Yes! All memberships give you access to our full online archive. Join in live with Stretch and Relax, or catch up later.
I’m a complete beginner, which class should I choose?
- All our online classes are open level, unless otherwise stated, so you can do any of those at your own pace, in your own time.
- There are 2 levels of Studio Belly Dancing, FUNdamentals/Gentle Belly Dancing and Improvers/Choreography.
- Belly Dance FUNdamentals and Gentle Belly Dance are beginner friendly. In these classes we will focus on learning and drilling new moves, alongside fun easy to follow dances.
- Improvers/Choreography Belly Dancing is for those who have some experience and would like to learn more challenging combos and choreography.
I am less able, are there classes to suit me?
Yes! Please contact us and we will direct you to the more appropriate classes for you. Please make the instructor aware before any class so they can give adaptations as necessary.
I’ve bought a studio class membership but can’t make it next week.
Online access is included with all studio memberships, there are lots of classes available in our archives. If you know you in advance that you can’t make all the classes that month, you can pay drop in at any of our in person classes.
Where is the studio?
UiS Community Gym is on Woodseats, Sheffield. The gym is above the H20 Bathroom Solutions store, with the entrance being a door to the right hand side, by the fence for the Police Station car park. The studio is located towards the back of the gym.
Parking is on street. Please note there are a number of stairs up to the gym.
Christchurch Walkley is across the road from the bus station in Hillsborough, there is plenty of parking.
What do I need to bring with me to the studio?
Something to drink, a shimmy belt or ballet shoes (if applicable) and any props the instructor has asked you to bring. You will be asked to take your outdoor shoes off before entering the studio, so shoes you can take off/put on easily are recommended.
Can I get changed at the studio?
There are changing rooms at UiS Community Gym however there are no changing facilities at Christchurch Walkley – you are able to use the toilets to change if you are comfortable to do so.
Can I just pay by bank transfer into Shimmy School’s bank?
Please purchase all memberships through the “Classes” Menu on our website. This ensures we don’t miss any orders. There is an option to pay through PayPal. If you do not have PayPal, please contact us to make other arrangements.
Are you Covid Secure?
- Yes, we are Covid secure and we have a risk assessment which is available to view on request.
- The studio we use has hand sanitizer at entry and exit points, and the floor of the studio is marked into 2m boxes.
- Students are asked to remain in their boxes for the duration of the class.
What happens in the event of another lockdown?
- In the event of another lockdown where we are unable to use the Studio, all classes and memberships will revert to online.
- Partial refunds will be given to those who have paid for studio classes.